Mint Punch (1934) ★★★★★

As a child I loved to mix things. I especially loved to mix juices. I would happily drink my grape-orange-fruit punch-apple juice, even when other people were disgusted at its swampy brown-green coloring. So naturally, I love to make punch recipes! 
I loved that the owner of this cook book made their own interpretation of this recipe, so I decided to follow that instead of what was published. I think overall, it just halves the recipe, but whatever. 

Original Recipe: 




The Verdict:

OH MY GOODNESS THIS IS SO DELICIOUS. Also, I made this with only 1 orange, but it was still awesome. I figured that old-timey oranges were probably less monstrous than the ones we have today anyway. If you crush the mint right, there should be a faint, but present and not overpowering minty-ness. Then you taste the citrus, which is just tart enough because of the sugar syrup. And the carbonation from the ginger ale is a nice touch. This is perfect for a summer party. Even Mr. Man, who freaked out at first because he has something against grape juice thought this was different and delicious.

Modernized Recipe:

(Adapted from New Tested Recipes)

3/4 cups SUGAR
1 cup WATER
1 LEMON
2 ORANGES
1 cup GRAPE JUICE
2 sprigs MINT, crushed*
1 LEMON, sliced
2 cups GINGER ALE
ICE

1. In a saucepan, boil the sugar and water for 2 minutes. Let cool.
2. While syrup is cooling, juice the lemon and oranges.
3. In a pitcher, mix the citrus juices, grape juice, crushed mint, and ginger ale. Stir in the cooled syrup and sliced lemon. Add the ice to the pitcher or to punch glasses.

* The best way to crush mint is to muddle it with a special muddling device. If you don't have one, use a mortar and pestle or the back of a spoon. You want it to be just bruised enough to release the juices, but not completely pulverized or it will become bitter.


Anje graduated with a Honours Bachelors degree in History with a minor in Museum Studies. She currently lives and works in Japan's least populous prefecture as an assistant English teacher.

4 comments:

  1. How do you find these recipes? I was *just* looking for historical recipes, what a luck this blog exists! They are wonderful, I already have my eye on a few I'll try (including this one).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out my "Resources" tab at the top. I literally just browse through digitized cookbooks looking for interesting recipes. Feeding America is what I use most of the time, because they have such a great collection. The great thing about really old cookbooks is that the copyright has expired, so you can find the whole book online!

      Delete
  2. Hi Anje, I'm so happy to have found your blog. It makes for compulsive reading for a curious cook and history buff like me :) I have already read probably half your blog (in one night) and hope you keep this lovely and highly unique blog going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you enjoy the blog :)
      I'm really trying to write more, since I neglected it for quite a while!

      Delete