Pineapple and Raspberry Neapolitan (1926) ★★★★


Original Recipe:


Dissolve a package of Lemon Jell-O in one-half pint of boiling water and add one-half pint of juice from canned pineapple. When cold whip and then fold in two or three slices of canned pineapple, finely chopped. Turn into round or square mold, filling half full. Dissolve a package of Raspberry Jell-O in a half pint of boiling water, add half a pint of of juice of canned or fresh raspberries, whip, and fold in the berries. Pour into the mold after the Lemon Jell-O has hardened. 
Fresh pineapple should not be used.




The Verdict:

Well, visually, this was a huge disappointment. Which I should have anticipated, because honestly, how could Jell-O get that white and fluffy looking without adding any dairy? However, the "whipping" did make some beautiful bubbles in the Jell-O. I also had a problem with my layers not sticking together, which was interesting. When I tried to unmold my gelatin, the layers separated and the pineapple one even broke a little. Sad times. 
However, taste-wise, this was pretty good! I'm going to give this 4 stars because it was slightly above average. However, I wouldn't make this very often, because it does take a bit of work. The amount of real fruit/fruit juice really masked the fake Jell-O flavouring, which could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on your preferences, I guess. I really enjoyed the taste. Also, the pineapple added a nice crunch, but the berries did get a bit mushy, which was a tad gross. 

Modernized Recipe:

(Adapted from Jell-O recipe booklet, found at Hey, My Mom Used to Make That!)

1 package LEMON JELL-O
1 cup PINEAPPLE JUICE (drained from the canned pineapple, add a little water if needed to reach 1 cup)
3 slices CANNED PINEAPPLE, finely chopped
1 package RASPBERRY JELL-O
1 cup RASPBERRY JUICE
A handful of RASPBERRIES
2 cups BOILING WATER, divided

1. In a mixing bowl (or directly in your mold, if you're lazy like me), dissolve the lemon Jell-O in 1 cup of boiling water. When the Jell-O has dissolved, mix in the pineapple juice. When the Jell-O is cooled, beat it with a hand mixer until very frothy. Gently fold in the fruit and let it set completely.
2. Do the same with the raspberry Jell-O, juice, and berries, making sure the pineapple layer is firm before pouring on the raspberry layer.
3. Let the mold set until firm. To unmold it, briefly soak the mold in warm water and invert onto a plate. Garnish with raspberries.



Anje graduated with a Honours Bachelors degree in History with a minor in Museum Studies. She currently lives and works in Japan's least populous prefecture as an assistant English teacher.

3 comments:

  1. The picture is quite a tease isn't it?! I've never come across raspberry juice here. I imagine it would be very expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I used cost $2.99 CAD for 1.36L. It wasn't pure raspberry juice, though. I thought of squishing it out of the berries, but it seemed very time consuming and a bit wasteful.

      Delete
    2. I'll have to see if I can find some...sounds delish!

      Delete