National Peanut Butter Day

The internet is telling me that today is National Peanut Butter Day in the United States!
...Okay, so I'm not in the USA, but Canada is close enough, right? Plus, any excuse to celebrate peanut butter is okay with me.
So here's a retro advertisement for Peter Pan peanut butter, from 1954. Is it just me or does that little girl look a bit...off?
(From The Gallery of Graphic Design)

Here's another advertisement, this time for Ann Page peanut butter and dated 1949. This one is of a little more interest as it lists some lovely ways to use peanut butter...
(From The Gallery of Graphic Design)

PEANUT BUTTER SPREADS
1. Combine Ann Page Peanut Butter with chopped crisp cooked bacon.
2. Combine equal parts Ann Page Peanut Butter with Ann Page Orange Marmalade.
3. Combine equal parts Ann Page Peanut Butter with Ann Page Chili Sauce.
4. Combine equal parts Ann Page Peanut Butter and Ann Page Sweet Garden Relish.


What is with peanut butter and bacon?! It seems to be a popular combination - and one that is experiencing a revival today as well with the whole bacon fad. I'm wondering how peanut butter and orange tastes together. Unfortunately I don't have any of these ingredients on hand to try out the combinations!


Anje graduated with a Honours Bachelors degree in History with a minor in Museum Studies. She currently lives and works in Japan's least populous prefecture as an assistant English teacher.

8 comments:

  1. I've never tried peanut butter and bacon either, but I think the marmalade sounds okay, and I suppose the chilli sauce would make a kind of cheaty satay!

    I really like peanut butter and grated carrot together (the carrot is moist enough to reduce the clagginess of the peanut butter) but the last time I took a sandwich to work with that combo in it three people asked if I was pregnant! (I wasn't)

    And I can finally share the most useless fact I know. Arachibutyrophobia is the fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of your mouth. Quite hard to work that into conversation...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha!
      Well, carrots and peanut butter is a pretty different combination!

      Delete
  2. Darn, I wish I'd known this earlier - I'd have made something! btw, my husband (and his father) absolutely love bacon and peanut butter sandwiches. Especially while watching baseball and drinking beer. It's something that goes way back for them (my husband's in his 40's), and he really can't explain where it came from. I've tried it - it's okay, but I still prefer bananas with my peanut butter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favourite is apples with peanut butter, but bananas are good too!

      Delete
  3. I would've used this day as an excuse to have a pb and m&m sanwich...yum! I too love pb with sliced banana. That girl looks like she's going to eat the sandwich and then me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad invented a peanut butter and bacon sandwich over 47 years ago. Spread Miracle Whip on one slice of bread. Spread peanut butter on top of the Miracle Whip (challenging, but worth it). Place crispy bacon on peanut butter. Top with lettuce. Finish off with the other slice of bread, either with or without additional Miracle Whip.

    Sounds not so great, I know. However, don't knock it until you've tried it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blogging offers various benefits, such as creative expression, community building, and potential revenue. Write An Intro However, bloggers may face challenges such as maintaining consistency, managing negative feedback, and dealing with online security threats.

    ReplyDelete