Pacific Red Pineapple Sauce (1939) ★★★★★

This recipe for a sweet sauce comes from the portion of the cookbook dedicated to the Southwest and the West. The section doesn't really make distinctions between the states, but considering the recipe calls specifically for Oregon strawberries, I think it's fair to make a guess that this is a recipe from Oregon.
I love the name of this recipe - something about the phrase "pacific red" makes me think of a vibrant sunset over the Pacific ocean.


Original Recipe:







The Verdict:
Full disclosure - I did use frozen strawberries. It's just more economical, I mean, I already had them in my kitchen. I also only had 3/4 cup of pineapple juice, so I added some crushed pineapple to reach the full 1 cup amount. I love how simple this recipe is, though - three ingredients, 1 cup of each. I was pretty sure this would turn out super yummy, and I was right! This sauce is really lovely. My only complaint was that it was a tad sweet. Next time I would add a bit of lemon juice to cut the sweetness a bit. I also had to boil mine a little harder, just because the frozen berries released a lot of liquid. It will thicken a little bit when it cools. I half-mashed my berries, because I like to have chunks. Actually, the crushed pineapple I added made some nice crunchy bits too. I love having that texture, but Mr. Man shuddered when he looked at it, so I guess if you don't share my enthusiasm for lumpy sauce, it can be pureed. I would definitely make this again - in fact, I might keep this as my go-to strawberry sauce.


Modernized Recipe:
(Adapted from New York World's Fair Cook Book: The American Kitchen)

The original recipe is easy to follow.


Anje graduated with a Honours Bachelors degree in History with a minor in Museum Studies. She currently lives and works in Japan's least populous prefecture as an assistant English teacher.

0 comments: