Pokerounce (c.1420) ★★★

I just love the names of medieval recipes! They're always so strange and interesting.
By the way, I had no idea what Galangal was, but I was able to find it easily in my local Asian grocery store.


Original Recipe:
.xxxvj. Pokerounce. Take Hony, & caste it in a potte tyl it wexe chargeaunt y-now; take & skeme it clene. Take Gyngere, Canel, & Galyngale, & caste þer-to; take whyte Brede, & kytte to trenchours, & toste ham; take þin paste whyle it is hot, & sprede it vppe-on þin trenchourys with a spone, & plante it with Pynes, & serue forth.

The Verdict:
Well, I wasn't a huge fan. I really didn't like the pine nuts, but the honey spread was okay. I overcooked it so it kept sticking to my teeth, which was kind of gross. I also added a bit too much galangal, so it was quite peppery. I also feel like maybe it would've been nicer to spread the honey on the bread before toasting. On the other hand, Little Y gobbled up both pieces, so I guess she liked it! In this case, I feel that it's really all about personal preferences, so I give it an average rating.

Modernized Recipe:
(Adapted from Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery-Books)

HONEY
GINGER
CINNAMON
GALANGAL
WHITE BREAD
PINE NUTS

1. Cut slices of white bread into rectangles, removing the crusts. Toast.
2. In a small saucepan, heat the honey until thickened. It will thicken as it cools; mine only took a minute.
3. Add ginger, cinnamon, and galangal to the honey to taste.
4. Spread the thickened honey on the toast and top it with pine nuts.


1 comment:

  1. Did you toast the pine nuts? I don't see anywhere in your recipe where you mention toasting them. That is probably why you didn't like them. Pine nuts are only good if you toast them. I think I'm going to try celtnet's recipe for pokerounce.

    ReplyDelete