Cocoa Cookies (1921) ★★★★★

With this quick and simple recipe, you can have warm cookies straight out of the oven in a jiffy.


Original Recipe:
4 tablespoons shortening
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 egg
2 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cocoa

Cream shortening and sugar together.
Add milk and beaten egg; mix well.
Sift flour, baking powder, cocoa and salt together and add.
Roll out 1/4-inch thick on floured board; cut with cookie cutter.
Bake in hot oven about 12 minutes.


The Verdict:
These cookies were soooo good! They were perfectly cooked, soft, fluffy, and delicious (even after they cooled). The chocolate flavour is mild, but still tasty. They're also fairly cheap, considering the recipe uses cocoa powder instead of chocolate, 1 egg, and only 1/4 cup of fat. And by the way, I used butter instead of shortening and they turned out fine. Rather than using cookie cutters, I rolled the dough into balls in my hands. The dough was too soft to roll, but I think a short time in the fridge would probably fix that. Anyway, it's just easier and cleaner to use my hands. I think the yield was something like 18 cookies, but I can't be sure because a bunch were gobbled up by Mr. Man while I was out of the kitchen. Little Y enjoyed hers too.

Modernized Recipe:
(Adapted from The New Dr. Price Cookbook)

The original recipe is easy to follow. Bake at 400F for about 10 minutes.


Anje graduated with a Honours Bachelors degree in History with a minor in Museum Studies. She currently lives and works in Japan's least populous prefecture as an assistant English teacher.

6 comments:

  1. These look so good ... Just had to pin them :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were delicious. :) I hope you make them!

      Delete
  2. I took one look at this recipe and decided that I had to have these cookies immediately! They are delicious! The bottoms of some of them burned a bit, but I think that was just because my pan was dark; anyway, I just scraped the burned bit off with a knife and have already devoured four. For the moment being I have resisted the urge to top them with nutella, but tomorrow I might cave...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad they worked out (for the most part) for you! They really are addictive, aren't they? :)

      Delete
  3. I am haveing a problem getting the shortening and suger to cream together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made these with unbleached flour and after 3 tries, found the perfect combo. I doubled the butter to 8 T and added a teaspoon of almond extract. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete