Rhubarb Toast (c.1886) ★★★★

One of the reasons I love spring is because rhubarb is in season (let's ignore that the first day of summer is in a week)! 

Original Recipe:


The Verdict:
The original recipe seemed like it was meant to feed a small army or something, so I quartered it. I still ended up with over a cup of sauce. The sauce is very tart, so if you like your rhubarb on the sweeter side, I suggest adding more sugar to taste. I didn't mind it, but it was rich so I barely made it through the two slices. It was good though; basically like a rhubarb jam. I actually poured some over a slice of cake and I enjoyed it a lot that way. So yay! Multipurpose sauce!

Modernized Recipe:
(Adapted from The Woman Suffrage Cook Book)

1/2 cup WATER
1/8 cup SUGAR
1/2 pound RHUBARB, diced
WHOLE WHEAT BREAD or GRAHAM BREAD

1. In a small saucepan, heat the water and sugar to boiling. Add the rhubarb and cook until the rhubarb is soft and falls apart, about 5 minutes or so. Let cool.
2. Toast bread and butter it. Serve with cooled rhubarb poured over it.


Anje graduated with a Honours Bachelors degree in History with a minor in Museum Studies. She currently lives and works in Japan's least populous prefecture as an assistant English teacher.

0 comments: